Hearing Tests for Children
AudioLogic Hearing employ Audiologists with a Masters Degree in Clinical Audiology and are qualified to provide diagnostic hearing assessments for children.
We provide hearing tests for children from 4 years of age.
Hearing assessments include:
- Case history and otoscopic examination
- Pure tone audiometry (air and bone conduction testing with masking as required)
- Speech audiometry (speech discrimination testing)
- Impedance testing (tympanometry – test of the middle ear function)
The Audiologist will interpret the assessment findings and report on the audiological diagnosis, which will indicate:
- Degree of hearing loss (mild, moderate, severe or profound)
- Type of hearing loss (conductive, sensorineural, mixed, processing)
- Configuration of hearing loss (the range of sounds affected)
- Site of lesion (outer ear, middle ear, inner ear)
The test results will be discussed along with audiological treatment options (hearing devices etc) and if there is a need for referral to a medical or surgical specialist. A report will be sent to the referring doctor.
Audiological services may be funded by:
- Medicare (Enhanced Primary Care Plan arranged by your GP)
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Private Health Funds (with extras which include hearing aids and initial consultations)
Retail outlets that primarily sell hearing devices and are owned by companies with close links to the hearing device industry often advertise "free" hearing assessments. Free assessments need not be carried out by qualified professionals as no regulatory restrictions apply. Assessments for the purpose of selling hearing devices may not be equivalent to a clinical assessment of auditory function.Click here to make an appointment at AudioLogic Hearing or call 03 9754 4162.